Chiropractic involves correcting the spine, bones, and joints to alleviate symptoms and disorders without the use of surgery or contemporary drugs. It is currently a popular alternative and complementary medicine. Studies about chiropractic approve its efficacy in decreasing pain and improving physical function.
Daniel David Palmer believes that manual manipulation of the spine could heal body disorders and diseases. To prove this, he made adjustments to the spine of a deaf man named Harvey Lillard on September 18, 1895. It allegedly restored Harvey’s hearing giving rise to Chiropractic. It became widespread competing with other medical systems based on bone-setting such as osteopathy. At first, the knowledge about it was kept within the family until Daniel founded a school in 1898 teaching it to a few students.
Application and Treatment
Subluxations are partial bone dislocations that cause the improper function of the nervous system resulting in various kinds of body disorders. The therapy intends to resolve it by restoring muscle mobility which allows tissues to heal and relieve muscle pain.
Chiropractic can be of substantial help in regards the following:
- Neck pain
- Bowel movement
- Blood pressure
- Mental clarity
- Arthritis and joint pain
Due to the differences in the origin of pain and body disorders, chiropractors apply different methods and techniques and sometimes combine these to attain better efficacy.
Here are other application methods
- Electrical stimulation: It is the use of small electrical charges to stimulate the spinal cord which reduces neck and back pain. It also helps increase endorphin production which relieves stress and act as natural pain-killers. It is a good alternative for individuals with allergy regarding oral medications.
- Relaxation techniques: Chiropractors will instruct patients to do breathing exercise, muscle relaxing movements, and meditation to improve the well-being of the body. It is a good method for those experiencing stress and hypertension.
- Heat and ice: It is the usage of heat to relieve pain from chronic injuries while using ice to lessen blood flow and reduce ache due to inflammation. Heat and ice are good methods that are effective in easing muscle cramps and joint pain.
- Rehabilitative exercises: Chiropractors advice a set of exercises which can improve muscle, joint, back, and neck problems. These exercises are also essential for therapeutic purposes regarding sports injuries. It prevents muscle atrophy and bone misalignment during recuperation.
- Diet and weight loss: Chiropractors combine with other methods to lessen joint and back pain. It is because weight loss effectively lessens the pressure on the joints making movement easier. Also, chiropractors highly recommend this for obese and elderly individuals towards retaining the normal body functions.
Chiropractic is a great solution for individuals who want an effective alternative to body therapy. Individuals are warned to feel slight pain when chiropractors align their joints and bones, but the relief that comes after is worth it. Individuals with special conditions are advised to see a physician before having the therapy.